Wednesday, May 7, 2008

May-day! May-day!

It's May and that means something fantastic - MY BIRTHDAY! Can you hardly stand the excitement? I know, I know - how old am I? Ten? The big day isn't until Friday but In anticipation of the momentous occasion, I thought I'd offer you a glimpse of birthdays past.

May 9, 1975 - I was born. It was a Friday. According to the poem, Friday's child is loving and giving. That's something I try to be every minute of every day. Sometimes it's tougher than others but overall I think I do alright for myself.

May 9, 1976 - Oh my poor mom. 1976 was a leap year and so my 1st birthday fell on Mother's Day. She spent the day cooking and cleaning and throwing a barbeque for a couple dozen members of my extended family. Since then, my birthday has fallen on Mother's Day an additional 4 times (when I turned 7, 18, 24, and 29). The next time this will occur will be 2010 when I turn 35 (eep!).

May 10, 1980 - I did something bad before family arrived to celebrate my birthday and as a result, was grounded to my room. I remember my 2 older cousins hanging out with me but not for long. Outside my room seemed like much more fun to them than being stuck inside my room with a mopey, sullen Nat. Of course, I completely forget what it was I did that was so bad and my mom thinks I'm making up the whole story.

May 11, 1991 - Star, a friend I've had since high school, has a birthday on May 1. My other friend Lynn had the brilliant idea to throw her a surprise Sweet Sixteen party. As the preparations got more and more elaborate, I got more and more bitter. I felt unloved and left out and was so jealous that all this fuss was being made over her and not me. I had community band practice the day of the big party and by the time I was done I was hot, tired, sunburned, and even more upset. I decided that I should just skip the party due to "not feeling well" but my mom would have none of it. She practically had to drag me out the door and over to the my friend's house. I walked down the stairs to the party room and everyone yelled "Surprise!" "No - wrong person," I laughed. But nope - turned out the party was for me, too. Lynn, the sneaky monkey, had turned it into a joint bash for the both of us and a good time was had by all.

May 9, 1995 - This was my first birthday away from home. I was taking a month-long class on Quebec politics at Laval University. The class had just started a few days earlier and my awesome new classmates helped me celebrate from the moment I woke up (to off-key strains of the happy birthday song) until the moment I collapsed into bed (after eating, drinking, and dancing like a crazy woman).

May 9, 2000 - This was my second birthday away from home. As a convocation gift, my fabulous mother bought me a train pass so that I could travel out to the east coast and back for the month of May. On May 9 I found myself, again, in the lovely province of Quebec - this time in Montreal. My mom told me to listen to Richardson's Round-Up on CBC that day. She had asked him to play "Mario Takes A Walk" by Jesse Cook (a favourite) and to dedicate it to me, who was taking my own kind of walk. Awww. Later that night my friend Lime (who was traveling with me at the time) and some crazy guys from Mexico we met at the hostel went and drank La Fin du Monde until we believed we were fluent in French.

Thanks to my beautiful, strong, brilliant, generous friends and family, I've had many other memorable birthdays. I'm sure this year will be no exception. Thank you to everyone for walking with me through these past 33 years.

But enough about me - tell me about you! More specifically, tell me about a fabulous birthday you've celebrated in your past. Oh, and don't call me before noon on Saturday, okay?

7 comments:

  1. happy birthday fellow taurus!!
    mine falls on monday this year! hooray!

    i've had a few awesome birthdays - i might have to borrow this for my own birthday post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!!

    One of my favorite birthdays was when I turned 22. I'd just moved to North Carolina for grad school the month before and didn't know many people. My new friend Liz and her roommates--all attractive young women--decided to take me out to the local club (which, believe it or not, was called Players). They dressed in their best "slut" outfits (their words) and I had a small harem of women around me for the whole evening. I was and am a big ol' nerd, so this was a very rare treat for me. It never went beyond dancing, which was fine, because I'm a nice boy, but it was certainly a night to remember nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am assuming that you are still fast asleep, so I'll be quiet:
    *happy birthday*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Happy Birthday (ok, so we're a day late....Happy Belated Birthday!!!) Please go to the brew pub and enjoy vast quantities. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diva - Borrow away. Anything for a fellow Taurus! Hope your birthday's awesome.

    EJP - A birthday with your very own harem? Sounds like heaven. :-)

    Schmutzie - Thanks for the birthday wishes and thanks for keeping the noise level down. My head would have hated you if you were much louder than that.

    Frann'paul - Oh yes - there were VAST quantities. The only thing that would have made my b-day better was to see your shining faces there.

    ReplyDelete